Sunday, February 12, 2017

Somebody stop me from making a big financial mistake.

I am a Minnesota sports fan.  As such, I am used to major let-downs by my teams.
  • The Twins refuse to spend enough money to really invest in something worth watching, and whenever they happen to find a small scrap of gold among the rubbish, they sell (read: trade) it off before they can build around it.  Ergo, nothing really great since 1991 (and I shamefully wasn't even really a fan then, so I missed the greatest World Series in history).
  • The Timberwolves just can't get out of their own way enough to maybe develop the new young talent they have actually found.
  • I didn't stay home for college, so I don't care very much about the Gophers, but from what little I hear/understand from streaming Twin Cities sports radio, they just don't know how to run a collegiate athletic association.
  • The Vikings are the worst because they taunt you with potential greatness, then get flooded with injuries, and one thing after another, every season inevitably falls apart.  This past year was, in my mind, the second-most "Vikings season" ever, only a step behind 2010, the year it culminated with the Metrodome roof caving in from snow.

And then there's the Wild, our young, scrappy, and hungry (it has been too long since I made a Hamilton reference) professional hockey team that, at the moment, is actually looking very legit. It can't be denied, they are damn good!  If you don't follow the NHL, to give you an idea of how good this team is right now, they are #1 in the conference standings and #2 overall in the league!  They are showing no signs of stopping.  And they're garnering some well-deserved attention, having just appeared on national broadcasts three games in a row, of which they took five out of six possible points to add to their standings.  I am thrilled to see this team doing so well!!

Now to the requested intervention: I started looking into maybe making a future's bet on the Wild to win the Stanley Cup.  The problems are a. I know nothing about sports betting; 2. I can't really afford that kind of investment (not that I'd go crazy); and 3. Because they are a Minnesota team, they'll collapse, get booted from the playoffs (probably by Chicago as usual), and again dash the hopes of every dedicated member of the team of 19,000.

So somebody other than my wife please talk me out of wasting time and money in this fool's errand before I give myself another imaginary fandom ulcer.  Thanks in advance.  And GO WILD!!

No comments:

Post a Comment