Sunday, February 26, 2017

I'm sure Steve Harvey is somewhere feeling vindicated tonight.

I don't watch the Oscars that often, if for no other reason than I don't end up seeing many of the nominated films before the show and I don't want any spoilers.  For some reason I felt compelled to watch tonight, even after only having seen a handful of the movies.  I tuned in about twenty minutes late as I was still commuting home from work, but what I did see, I thought it was pretty good.  It wasn't the best, but it had some moments that I laughed at, and I enjoyed all the honesty, sincerity, love, and respect.  Some bits carried on a touch too long (the bus tourist thing didn't fly quite like I think they though it would).   Kimmel isn't my favorite comedian, but I like him more and more as I pay more attention to him; he has certainly come a long way from The Man Show and being Ben Stein's dopey sidekick.

Did I not say sometime last month that Viola Davis could do no wrong and they should just hand her the Oscar then?  If you didn't see Fences, she really gave an outstanding performance and was immediately deserving to win tonight!  And what a speech!

I thought the political statements were all well done also.  Nothing over the top; just honest, level-headed, direct statements from people who have just as much right to protest and offer opinions as any of us.  Kudos to all.

But all the glitz and celebrity and parachuting snacks were instantly forgotten in the confusion of the last ten minutes with the wrong envelopes going out that caused the wrong Best Picture winner to be announced.  I have never seen chaos quite like that before.  I knew something was up when I saw Stage Manager guy bumbling around through the La La Land team.  Then nobody knew what to say, what to think, or where to go for a few minutes.  It was almost comical if so many people didn't just go through a flurry of 180-degree emotions so quickly.  In any case, let the memes fly!

So a big congratulations to all the winners, a huge apology from me that I haven't seen most of your films despite my best intentions (no award for that), and Steve Harvey, here's to ya - you're free!

No comments:

Post a Comment