Monday, February 6, 2017

I'm becoming repetitive.

So in yet another example of people showing their privilege, today I showed a liberal coworker a headline I saw in passing about DT starting a commission to investigate voter fraud; of which there was none so this another total waste of time and (I'm sure) taxpayer money, and continuing to deflect from the real threat of his tyranny.  This coworker is really easy-going, and proceeded to go on about some theory which culminated with basically saying "You're cutting years off your life by getting so crazy about this."  As a side note, I don't think it was necessarily directed specifically at me; more of a collective "you" to those of us who continue to speak up.

While on one hand I actually think there is merit to that thought (I have had the same thought myself, hence my need to pull back for a couple of days to recoup), I can't help but think this is just letting life happen to you, and in this case, everyone else who may have even less choice, voice, or opportunity.  We can't just sit back quietly and calmly, waiting and hoping he will eventually implode; too much damage may have been caused by then.  If we get complacent and let it all normalize around us, we may not realize all the effects it's having until it's too late, including to those of us who do have privilege.  We're already going to have a deep hole from which to dig out; let's not make it worse by taking a lazy attitude about it.  We have already seen some of "our" (I put that in quotes because I still really have yet to do anything outside bitching behind my monitor; a.k.a. I'm shamefully showing my privilege) actions have positive effect; we have to keep at it!  Thank you for all you do!  #resist

No comments:

Post a Comment