Saturday, February 11, 2017

I took my kids to see The Lego Batman Movie tonight.

And man, is it a good time!!



I hadn't really paid much attention to any trailers or hype about the movie prior to its release this weekend.  It was going to be a throw-away movie for me; something I knew I'd probably be taking my kids to see, which was certainly confirmed when my son realized it was coming out the week of his birthday.  I haven't seen the entire original Lego Movie; somehow this new movie franchise hasn't gripped me in the same way their video games have, and I LOVE playing those!  Needless to say, there wouldn't be a movie franchise if it weren't for the advent of the games.

That said, I really enjoyed everything about this movie!  From the very opening of the film, even as the opening production company logos are rolling, the jokes are flying.  I don't want to spoil anything here, because some of my favorite moments came from completely unexpected places; everything from shout-outs to every iteration of Batman that has ever been to the rest of the DC universe, even to subtle jabs at Marvel.  You almost forget it's even a Lego movie as there are only a couple of references to the "master builder" concept introduced in the Lego Movie.  Beyond that, it was just great Batman camp.  Of course, maybe that's just me as my Batman and DC experience for the last few years has mostly been just from playing the Lego video games, so the look just felt natural.

Anyway, top to bottom, the Lego Batman Movie is just a lot of fun, and if you are a fan of Batman at all and you have you have a good sense of humor, you need to see it immediately!

No comments:

Post a Comment