Tuesday, January 10, 2017

I will desperately miss President Obama.

Let me start today by saying I am so far from the world's greatest political scholar.  I am not particularly well-read or the most knowledgeable when it comes to current events.  I was a terrible student of history.  You will not get the greatest impromptu debate from me.

What I have are strong beliefs.  I have a conscience.  And I have had great trust and faith in the Obama administration from day one; I respect nearly everything he has done and his great resolve to keep on despite inheriting a terrible circumstance and facing eight years of constant opposition. Listening to what I could of his farewell address tonight, it just reaffirmed all of this.  A friend posted on Facebook tonight "We took him for granted."  I'm not sure if she is right, or if we are just so afraid of the serious regression we are about to enter.

I am so afraid of what we are going to lose.  I just saw a news crawl that says the Orange Oaf is already demanding of Congress a repeal of the Affordable Care Act next week - he is not even in office yet!  How he can he be making demands??!  Race relations are getting severely damaged.  We will become secluded from the global community, either by (his) actions or by universal rejection. Human rights for LGBTQ individuals are going to be ripped away from them; what is going to happen to these families?  Women may lose control of their bodies and health.  I could go on and on.

President Obama, I salute you, Sir.  We will miss you.  I wish I had the gumption and the fortitude to follow your instructions tonight, to get those signatures, knock on doors, and fight for what I believe is right and good for the country; sadly, I know my weaknesses (topic for another time).  Throughout his political career, President Obama has always believed in hope.  He reiterated that to us tonight, that we should stand strong and not lose ours.  Heaven help me, I'm trying, but the fear is taking over . . . and I know that means I'm letting HIM win.

No comments:

Post a Comment