Friday, January 20, 2017

I tried to stay quiet today.

I wore black today.  I had red stripes in my tie.  Of course the red was not in support of the Great Cheeto or his party, unlike my arrogant Republican coworker who wore his bright red "power tie."  It was for anger.  It was for love.  It was for hope.  It was for defiance.  In my own way, it was my private little protest from the other side of the country.

I did not watch the inauguration, primarily because I was already at work, but I would not have watched even if I weren't.  He does not need any more attention than he has already received and will continue to receive now that he is in power.  That is all he wants; it's what he craves: attention. The only time I really went off today was early in the morning as some coworkers were silently streaming the proceedings; one of them made comment that when his car pulled up to where the Obamas were waiting for them, he got out and was up the stairs meeting with them before his wife even got out of the car from her own door.  I started shouting and banging my hand on the desk for emphasis that it's because that is what he is all about; that he doesn't care at all about the job, just the attention.  My coworkers already know where I stand; they watched me erode on election night.  The one who made the initial observation had to give me a slight friendly "calm down" warning.  From that moment, I decided to just stay quiet about it.

It seems I can only get impassioned about these things with a certain audience.  Others are tired of listening to me, as has been more than evident by the responses I have received all year on Facebook from my surprisingly-conservative high school classmates. (You never gave me this much attention while we were growing up . . . )  On one hand, I can't say that I blame them.  This entire political season has consumed me.  Hell, I'm tired of hearing me!  But I will not be trolled or dismissed into silence.  As I see it, you have two options: a. you can engage me in civil discussion; or 2. you can stop following me.  My opinions and beliefs are just that: mine; you will not take that away from me anymore than I can take yours from you.  There are millions of people out there who believe exactly as I do, and you will not silence any of us.

Furthermore, don't engage in stereotype or assumption.  I was listening to NPR on my way home this evening; of course all the attention was on the inauguration.  I heard a soundbyte of an interview with a supporter from South Carolina attending the festivities who when asked about the protesters rudely said something like, "Go smoke a joint and shut up."  When the interviewer asked the man if the President needs to engage the other side, he proceeded with his negativity with, "What other side? There's no talking to them!"  You conceited prick, YOU DO NOT GET TO BRUSH US ASIDE WITH YOUR UNFAIR DEDUCTIONS OF WHO WE ARE!!  Have your opinions, but do not presume to know who each of us are as individuals. Talk to us as fellow Americans, not as liberals; you might be surprised to learn that we all want the same things for our families and country.

I stayed pretty quiet all day.  I don't have to be quiet here and now.  God bless America, and God help us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment