Saturday, January 14, 2017

I am so loving my new work hours!

As I wrote previously, after seven and a half years of working until 11 or 12 o'clock at night, I have FINALLY been granted a day shift.  I cannot tell you how happy this has made me.  My time is really mine again.  Yes, the time in actual hours is probably the same no matter when my working hours are, but the quality of that time has significantly increased.

I can finally get involved in the blossoming theatre scene in this otherwise culturally-vacant cesspool of a town.  Maybe I learn there is more going on than I know and I'll stop thinking of it as a culturally-vacant cesspool.

I don't know that this blog would have happened without this new time afforded to me.  (I can already hear some of you saying, "Please go back to working nights," and I've only been at this for two weeks.)

I can attend things again!  In addition to going to theatre, maybe I will attend concerts again, which I haven't done in years, and that used to be the epicenter of my life.  I took my kids to Disney on Ice tonight!  That kind of thing really hasn't been possible until now unless I used up a day off from my annual allotment.

And speaking of them, that is what has been most important to me, getting to spend more time with my children.  Before, there were days where I would only see them for one hour in the morning while getting them ready for school.  Now I not only have that, but time at night to help with homework, play, and read.  Even the simple pleasure of getting to say "good night" every night fills me with such joy.  It really is true: once you become a parent, there is no comprehending what life was like before your children, and even if you could, you don't want to.  And now I get to be with them as I have always wanted to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment