Monday, March 6, 2017

I don't know how to approach this tonight.

I guess first off apologies are in order.  Yesterday was the first day I have missed a post since starting this blog (I can hear the sarcastic sentiments from many of you).  Not only was I thoroughly exhausted and falling asleep while trying to type up some nonsense fluff piece about being excited for the Marvel Cinematic Universe and what it will be giving us this year (although I may return to that in the not too distant future), it's DAMN HARD writing like this day after day!  I have a whole new respect for those who can, and for those who write period, no matter your medium.  How do other bloggers and editorialists (not a word?) and late-night talk show staves write such great stuff to be presented instantly day after day??  Kudos to you all!

So as I'm still trying to crawl out of my "45 Fatigue," as a high school friend poetically calls it, I'm torn with how I should proceed tonight.  I could go off about Immigrant Ban 2.0 and how it's basically more of the same with just a little (surprising) pander to the left in recognizing there could be harm in a unilateral ban of all immigrants; how there is a convenient coincidence that Khizr Khan, the father of the Muslim soldier who died while serving the country and spoke at the Democratic National Convention to offer DT a copy of the Constitution, has had to cancel travel plans TO CANADA for a speaking engagement because of it; how it is all still very vague and scary to leave things up to individual Customs and Border Patrol personnel to interpret, who could just as easily insert their own feelings and biases rather than be fair and impartial about waiver requests.

I could talk further about the ridiculous alt-right media claims that he jumped all over about President Obama and a "tapp" (sic) of his golden NYC palace; how the claim is completely unsubstantiated and he and Spicey know it is which is why they are now refusing to make any further statements about it; how it is just another attempt at distraction from the continuing investigation into his campaign's ties with Russia.

I could bring up the rise in anti-Semitism in the country; how he himself may not be anti-Semitic, but his campaign run on hate and bigotry and intolerance has made it acceptable for citizens of that backwards and antiquated mindset to physically and verbally attack other citizens who are different from them, both to their person and to their property, including sacred places like cemeteries.  And let's not forget the continuing Islamophobia running rampant (side note: how sad is it "Islamophobia" is recognized by spellchecker?).

I could talk about how Dr. (??!) Ben Carson doesn't seem to understand his history because he compared slaves to immigrants, despite a pathetic attempt at a retraction.  Or how about the suddenly-existent new bill to repeal and replace the Affordable Care Act which would still harm millions of Americans (kudos to the Republican leaders who are currently refusing to go along with it)?  OR how about that he has been in Florida playing golf four out of five weekends of his short term when he was so quick to chastise his predecessor for taking an infrequent vacation over EIGHT YEARS?

I COULD go on about any of these things, but I just want to talk about the shared love my son and I have for Harry Potter, and now it's too late for me to do that tonight - thanks Trump!

No comments:

Post a Comment